Pools are a great way to beat the heat and cool off when the weather warms, and whatever your plans this summer, a clean pool can provide a great place to spend time with loved ones. At Blue Water Chemical Co., we know the difference a clean and well-maintained pool can make, and provide a number of services to ensure pool owners have a safe environment to spend the swimming season. While the steps needed to prepare your pool for summer vary depending on the size and type of pool you have, here are some general steps you can follow to ensure your pool is ready for the swimming season.
- Clean the pool area: Getting your pool ready for summer means more than just treating the water – if it has been a while since the pool area was used, start by cleaning and removing built-up debris, dirt and leaves. Deep cleaning the area surrounding the pool can make an immediate difference and ensure it is an area for friends and family to enjoy all summer long.
- Remove the cover: Pool covers can be a great way to protect your pool in the off-season, and makes the initial maintenance required when using the pool again much easier. If you utilize a pool cover, make sure after removing it that it is clean and dry before storing so that it will be ready to use again in the fall and winter months.
- Check the pool equipment: Equipment that has not been used in a few months may be dirty or not in optimal working condition. Clean any pumps, filters or heaters and make sure to replace filters if necessary.
- Test the water chemistry: After a period of disuse, the chemical composition of your pool is likely no longer optimal. A pool water testing kit can be an easy way to test the pH, chlorine levels, alkalinity and calcium hardness, and give you a good sense of what chemical levels need to be adjusted. When in the recommended range, your pool will be safe and clean to enjoy.
- Shock and clean the pool: An initial shock treatment can be a great way to kill any bacteria or algae that may have found its way into your pool since you last used it. After shocking, skim the surface to rid your pool of any floating debris, and use a brush to dislodge stubborn deposits on the walls and steps. A pool vacuum can also be utilized to quickly and easily clean the bottom of your pool and other hard to reach places.
- Fill the pool: Evaporation may have caused your pool’s water level to drop, and refilling or topping off the water level is an important step before using it. Water levels that are below the recommended levels can negatively impact the performance of your skimmer and other equipment.
- Run the pool system: After cleaning and general maintenance, it can be tempting to go ahead and use your pool as normal. However, an initial run of the pump and other equipment can make sure everything is in working order. If after running, everything seems to run smoothly, leave it for a few hours to ensure optimum circulation.
- Enjoy your pool all summer long: With these tips in mind, you can rest assured your pool will be clean and beautiful this swimming season. While routine maintenance is important, a rigorous initial testing and cleaning will give you the peace of mind your pool will be ready for anything you throw at it.
Pools are a great backyard amenity, and if well maintained can be enjoyed for years to come. If you start noticing your pool is having issues, don’t delay in getting help from professionals. As one of the leaders in the industry for over 47 years, Blue Water is a company you can trust. Contact us with any repair questions or needs your pool requires.